I value education and consider myself a lifelong learner. During high school I wanted to become a journalist, predominantly, but chose to bring a child into this world first. My son was born two weeks before I graduated from high school. While raising him, I enjoyed a sampling of corporate business training and academic courses. It wasn’t until he earned his college undergraduate degree that I decided to return to college full-time.
As an empty-nester, non-traditional student, I completed my Associate’s degree in August 2006, 25 years after graduating high school. I then attended full time through completion of my bachelor’s degree in biomedical sciences, in December 2008, with additional credits in psychology.
During my long, convoluted undergraduate career, I earned numerous academic scholarships, awards and distinctions including Phi Theta Kappa, Sigma Kappa Delta, Dean’s and President’s lists, and a President’s Excellence Award. Immediately upon earning my bachelor’s degree, I entered medical school for chiropractic and naturopathic medicines where I earned 30+ credit hours of first professional doctorate-level study in biomedical sciences.
During that time, I contemplated success and personal growth and started my first blog Medical Student Success Strategies. Soon after, I took a sabbatical from medical school to pursue practical business education outside of academia as well as personal development programs. A short time later, I resumed my pursuit of my education in psychology, such that my second undergraduate degree, a bachelor of arts in psychology, is only two classes from completion. I anticipate graduating Spring of 2015.
Throw into the mix MBA classes. I have several classes completed toward an MBA, but I promised myself I’d complete the Psychology degree before resuming the MBA program or evaluate something different.
(Click the links to see photos from each event!)
- 2006 Heartland Community College — Associate of Arts degree, with honors: Phi Theta Kappa and Sigma Kappa Delta
- 2008 National University of Health Sciences — Bachelor of Science in Biomedical Sciences
- 2009 National University of Health Sciences — 32 credits toward a doctorate in chiropractic medicine, with additional credits toward the doctorate in naturopathic medicine. President’s Excellence Award received based on cumulative undergraduate performance.
- 2007-8, 2010-12 Columbia College, MO — Additional credits toward a bachelor of arts in Psychology
Personal Growth Education
- Fall 1981 Dale Carnergie Courses by Bowen and Associates – Public Speaking & Human Relations
- October 2009 Carlos Marin’s Automatic Riches (Emotional Freedom Technique) workshop
- July 2011 Tony Robbins’ Unleash the Power Within (Yes! I am a Firewalker!)
- July 2012 T. Harv Eker & Peak Potential’s Millionaire Mind Intensive
Professional Education Workshops
- January 2010 Bill Walsh & Powerteam International’s Rainmaker
- February 2010 and July 2011 Jorge Bueno’s Business Codex
- April 2011 Powerteam International’s Success Summit
- April 2012 Infusionsoft’s InfusionCon 2012
- Fall 2012 Infusionsoft’s Success Tour (marketing intensive)
- Fall 2014 Ripples to Waves professional writing and publishing class